10/01/2014

long time no see

It has been a while since I last posted something. But, I recently wrote this text to be included in the newsletter of the PhD students, and it just felt right to share it here. I still remember the 3 months of constant curiosity and pure joy very well. And I'm just finding an excuse to go back. Daisuki Japan <3


Japan, the ultimate culture difference… or similarity?!

                  It has been a year since I traveled to Japan for a three month (life-changing) experience. Japan! “You couldn’t have travelled further away from the Netherlands!” “What a culture shock it will be!” “Won’t you become tired of sushi?” …  These were few of the common sentences I heard previous to my departure. But nothing could have been more different! Yes, it was far away. But geographical location is nowadays surpassed in a few hours. Yes, it is a different culture. Yet, more similar to my own culture than I could have ever imagined before; such a hospitable, friendly and helpful people, made me feel at ease from day one. And no, I wasn’t tired of sushi! Either because it is extremely good (oishii! I mean, delicious!) or because there is plenty of other food options I had never heard of before!
                  28th of September 2013, 5 am. Tokyo Haneda International airport. Signs in English. Clear information on transportation to the city centre. Twice, helped by gentlemen with my big suitcase and even bigger backpack up the stairs of the metro. 8 am arriving at the Tokyo Medical and Dental University where Mrs. Kawashima (or would it be a Mr.?!?)  would be waiting for me. Minutes after I surprised the security people and under the curious looks of the patients entering the faculty, a friendly young woman came to me, as excited to meet me as I was to meet her! She took me on a tour around the huge dental school, where the patients’ folders run in rails in the ceiling (no digital folders in a country where high-technology is world known?!). I was introduced to all the staff members I would come across in the following months, and whose names I would take a few days to understand and be able to say correctly. “Ana chan” would be my name from then on. She gave me a free corner in an overcrowded office, and took me for lunch in an udon restaurant. First proof of my skills with the chopsticks! Result: all the soup speckled on the table and on myself and little inside my stomach. But nobody around seemed to be paying attention! Uff! Next, she showed me the accommodation: a room with an all geared up bathroom (literally tons of buttons for different purposes!), a fridge and a stove burner. “Don’t you have a rice cooker?” I was asked many times by worried Japanese friends! I haven’t even heard about this apparently indispensable kitchenware before, so I was sure I would survive without one! (And I did!)
During the three months I’ve found my way around. It was only time enough to start understanding a bit of it, but I started loving it from day one. I’ve travelled as much as I could, tried all the different food I was given and spoke with as many people I came across with to get the most out of the stay. Relish Lake Kawaguchi with the impressive view of Mount Fuji, hike in Mount Takao during the red leaves season, walk along the breath taking Hiroshima peace memorial park, prize beautiful Nikko, relax in an open air onsen (hot spring), admire the ultimate femininity of the geiko in the streets of Kyoto, feel the vibrant Osaka and contrasting quietness of Izu peninsula, visit the spectacular temples around every corner, experience the vertiginous bullet train, eat the delicious Kobe beef and high quality sushi and assist the elegant tea ceremony, and of course, live the astonishing fast speed Tokyo… are only a few “must do”.
Among the PhD students I’ve learned the trivialities of the Japanese culture, habits and even some words. They were always pleased to take me around the city, teach me the hidden meaning of a character, a temple, a ceremony; they were thankful I could speak “slow understandable English” and were delighted with my basic Japanese (Yes, I’ve tried to follow a short basic Japanese language course). In the lab (or labô, as they say) I’ve worked with enthusiastic researchers which help was invaluable to reach my goal in such short time. The contact with the sensei (senior researchers, “masters”) was personally and professionally enriching. And specially the friendship I felt and I still keep are a priceless gain of this experience.
                  Everyone knows Sayonara (good bye), but with those friends I’ve learned Matane (see you soon), and that’s what I’ve said to myself before the flight back: Matane Japan, you’ll always be in my heart and I hope to come back one day.
Arigato gozaimasu!

 


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

wow me back